Hiring freeze announced? This is what you can do as a TA Team
| October 19, 2023
As we approach the end of the year, employers are faced with the challenge of aligning their hiring needs with the evolving business landscape. A recent poll on anticipated hiring needs provides valuable insights into the strategies organizations are adopting. This article offers actionable insights tailored to each scenario, starting with the most prevalent.
Understanding the Poll Results
43% foresee limited hiring or a complete hiring freeze.
29% expect a steady, consistent hiring pace.
14% anticipate a significant increase in hiring.
14% plan to focus exclusively on business-critical roles.
Strategies for Each Scenario
Limited Hiring or Hiring Freeze (43%)
In the context of limited hiring or a hiring freeze, TA teams need to navigate strategically to ensure the organization remains ready for future growth while managing current resources and sentiments effectively.
- Skills and Gap Analysis: Execute a workforce skills audit within the TA team itself and together with business leaders to direct targeted employee development and readiness for anticipated future growth ambitions.
- Internal mobility programs: Support career growth by promoting role transitions within the company, filling gaps, and retaining talent.
- Employee engagement and retention: Boost engagement and positivity during difficult times with initiatives like recognition programs and mentorship to increase satisfaction and reduce turnover.
- Building targeted talent pools: Develop or utilize your sourcing capacity to build targeted talent pools. With little vacancy-related recruitment activity, there is space and time to build relationships with talents crucial for future growth ambitions.
Steady, Consistent Hiring Pace (29%)
For organizations maintaining a steady hiring pace, the focus should be on quality and optimization.
- Quality Over Quantity: Emphasize the quality of your hires over quantity. Implement robust screening and interview processes to select candidates who align with your company culture and values.
- Invest in Development: Focus on the growth and development of your existing workforce. Encourage continuous learning and skill-building to retain valuable talent.
Significant Increase in Hiring (14%)
Despite being in the minority, you are going to fully engage in recruitment. To provide consistent quality in your recruitment services to your internal customer, it is essential to plan strategically.
- Accelerate Recruitment: Use available data to gain insight into successful recruitment strategies. Invest in what demands the least from your recruitment capacity and proportionally delivers the most results.
- Partners: Analyze and determine which vacancies, in terms of ‘time to hire’ and ‘cost of hire’, are best outsourced.
Business-Critical Roles Only (14%)
This situation gives you the opportunity to determine a targeted recruitment strategy for each role and spend the necessary time on the people and processes involved. This also means that you can now handle hard-to-fill vacancies, which you might previously entrust to a partner, yourself because you have more time to source, for example.
- Invest in internal and external relationships: Identify your internal stakeholders and external partners and continue to strengthen the relationship. This investment in time and attention ‘earns’ you back as soon as you have a little less time during peak periods.
- Recruitment data analysis: In times where recruitment needs are lower, taking a moment to reflect on what you have done so far is also a form of growth. Data-driven reflection on what your team has achieved is a nice way to do this. Growth and development lie in the follow-up actions your team takes to implement improvements.
Conclusion: Embrace Change and Stay Flexible
Flexibility is the common thread. By delving into various scenarios as a team and investing time in developing an action plan, you are always able to quickly adapt to the current recruitment situation within your company. Use the available recruitment data to make decisions and invest in your most valuable asset: your staff